Pages

Friday, May 8, 2015

Week 35- Skittles Math, Soared Awards, MMS, & Field Day Celebration

Wow! This was a busy week! In math, we learned about mean, median, mode, and range. We made cootie catches but I forgot to take a picture. We wrote mean, median, mode and range on the outside. Then the kids rolled dice to create a set of data inside each.

Then we did a fun activity with Skittles. I purchased the Mean, Median, Mode, & Range bundle from Teaching with a Mountain View.  The kids loved the skittles activity. I gave each of them a cup of Skittles and they calculated the numbers based on their cup.


Then they partnered with someone else and did the same thing. Finally, they combined those groups to make a larger group and did it again. 


I loved this because it was lots of practice without just doing a worksheet! My new hashtag is #morefunthanaworksheet. 


We also had some of our atom art on display for the STEAM show at our school this week before the PTA meeting. 


Have you see the Together We Soared Awards by Deb Hanson? When I saw this I loved it and couldn't wait to use it with my class. 



I randomly assigned each student a classmate to write about. They were able to choose the type of award they were giving and then they had to write a paragraph to tell about what the award is and why they are giving it to that person. 


Next week I plan to let the kids share the awards they gave to their classmates. As I read through these I almost started to cry. I am so glad to see that my speeches about us being a family have really connected with my students. 


Each one of these is so thought out and I'm so proud!



We also took a trip to the middle school for my students to see what they are going to be a part of next year. 


I always love going because I get to see my former students! I sure do miss these sweet kids!


The end of our week was wrapped up with a celebration and field day. 


We celebrated the fact that our school was awarded the Blue Ribbon School of Excellence Lighthouse Award and the Leader in Me Lighthouse Award. 


Field day was full of fun relay races and water fun. 



STUDENTS: We had a lot going on this week! What was your favorite part of the week? Start making a list of everything we have learned this year in math and science. I have a plan for next week! Have a great weekend. 


4 comments:

  1. What a fun, busy week you all had!! I'm glad you enjoyed the kite activity- your bulletin board looks FABULOUS, and it looks like your students did a wonderful job! Thanks for sharing. Also, congratulations on your Blue Ribbon School award and Leader in Me award! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite part about this week is field day because it was fun, amazing, we got to watch a movie or 2, we got popsicles, and we had game day at the end!
    Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite part about last week was field day. i was sad that it was our last field day though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Students, make sure to answer the question of the week to earn your ticket for the good job jar. If you have trouble posting your comment just e-mail it to me and I'll post it for you.